Friday 4 May 2018

Play Testing Normandy

Last Thursday a group of us got together to have a play with the soon to be released Ruleset Normandy, from the people that produces Skirmish Sangin. I really wished that I had brought my Camera with me as I did not realise that this was being openly discussed on their Forum, so only had my Cellphone with me and started taking photos too late.

My contribution was to bring some of my wrecked city terrain which I had bought as a job lot years ago and have not repainted yet. I also brought some trees and a German Hanomag. Ray brought loads of terrain and some beautiful painted German Grenadiers and British Paratroopers. Colin brought the rules and some buildings. Mike also joined in to make up the group as player. I was asked if I wanted to play the British or Germans so I chose the Brits which I was happy to take, as I recently found the urge to start buying them up. Colin was to run the game as umpire.

My task was to hold a line across the table which was just about halfway down the length. The Germans were to attack in two groups down each edge with a Half-track each with a squad, and some Command elements. I forget the exact make up as I didn't expect to be talking about the game.

The rules are a bit different to most games as there are no ranges to take into account other than for a pistol, so loads of terrain in very useful to have on the table. Each section is divided up into riflemen, LMG team, and command elements. Each team can have different ratings; Veteran, Average etc. Colin provided small card sized reference cards with unit stats and also some others with basic shooting/spotting stats which made very easy reference during the game.

 I had a section of British Paras which comprised of; Rifle Team, LMG Team, Junior NCO and a Senior NCO. I also had a Piat Team and two Vickers Armed Jeeps. Being made aware of how vulnerable the Jeeps were I tried to keep them hidden while the troops spread across the table using all the cover they could. I made them all Go Firm which I am told is a Military term that means that they will be taking as much cover as possible and only peeping out to spot and shoot.

Mike approached and was immediately attempting to spot my Jeep on my right flank, I responded by opening fire on his Rifle Section killing a couple of men, and causing a suppression marker on the team. Meanwhile Ray approached down the road in the middle with the Half Track trying to spot me. This was very hard as I was in a higher elevation as well as being in medium cover and Firm.

I don't really remember much as quite a few things happened so I will just mention some high points, or maybe that should be low points?  My Jeep on the Right flank decided that after being spotted he should move away so moved two activations back. However Ray chose to take the opportunity to snap fire with his Half Track. He chose to fire when the Jeep was crossing an open spot which I had not really considered an option. The Jeep was hit and destroyed. Ray did not need to spot as the Jeep was in the open. Ok I will remember that for next time. My Piat Team which was about centre of the line failed to spot the Halftrack, (were they blind?) My Rifle Team then took Turns to throw Grenades from their Hiding point at the Halftrack. The first hit suppressed it, the second destroyed it. The Piat Team then managed to spot an LMG team setting up in a building behind the Halttrack but had used up all their activation points so could not fire that turn. Meanwhile on the right flank Mike had Suppressed my LMG team and had managed to work his way up into the opposing building where I had trouble spotting him.

At this point Colin said it was time to pack up as the Hall would be closing up so each of us had one last team to activate. I chose my remaining Jeep which had been hidden all game and raced it up the street to shoot up some Germans hiding by the destroyed Halftrack. I don't remember doing much damage and the Jeep was destroyed in return Fire. If I had more time I would have given the Jeep some activation points from the Senior NCO and should have been able to run away after the firing.

All in all a fun game which did not take long to play. Having the reference cards really speeded things up. I also chose to put my status markers on my cards which tidied things up on the table which Colin quite liked.

As the saying goes, please excuse the crappy Cell-Phone pictures.

Rays Halftrack not mine.
Steady Lads
Cup of Tea chaps?
Here comes Mike
Should have stuck to drinking Tea

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am turning off comments for now as a certain Peter Smith has been spamming me endlessly, and it's wasting my time moderating it. I hope that does not put off genuine commentators who may want to comment later.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.