Saturday 8 December 2018

Berlin Buildings - number 2 modified roof.

I needed to do a large modification to this building as the roof was looking too large. I cut off about 30mm from the bottom edge using a steel ruler and box cutter knife. It turned out easier than I previously thought as there was also a few sections of foam core bulkheads that needed cutting through as well. Everything seemed to come up nice and square and I hid the trimmed parts with some balsa.

Before modification




I now need to add some dormer windows and then do the tiling which I am probably running short of. I should order some now but with Xmas postage I may just leave it for the moment.

The method I use for making consistent sized rod for the windows started off being difficult so came up with a cheaper version of a plastic strip chopper. Using an aluminium box square and plastic card I managed to cut consistent strips. I only had problems when I allowed the knife blade to cut at an angle. A picture paints a thousand words so I hope this make things a bit clearer.



In the photo above the long thin rod is dropped into the slot in the photo below to give the correct length. I have coloured it red to stand out. The card marked block is used to stop the strips from moving around. The other piece of card is used as a backstop for the rod. There are wider channels in the aluminium box so I hope this works with other sized strip. I am using 1.5 plastic rod. I use the right hand edge of the box as a cutting guide.


Untrimmed rod in the device. 

The small strip is the lengthI am using for the windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am turning off comments for now as a certain Peter Smith has been spamming me endlessly, and it's wasting my time moderating it. I hope that does not put off genuine commentators who may want to comment later.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.