Sunday, 25 January 2015

Valleycon 2015

This weekend was the Upper Hutt Club, The Regiments annual Vallycon Tournament. Mate Ray had asked me to play in a Tomahawk and Muskets game which I had never played before. Unfortunately neither of us could make it on the Saturday but Ray, Michael and myself could play on the Sunday.

Ray asked me what side I wanted to play and I chose the British/settlers. It being almost the Anniversary of Isandlwana I was not expecting much success. The scenario and the figures were based on the Film of the Last of The Mohicans, which I have not seen for years but could remember the characters.

My role was to get the wagon with the Major and his daughters to the village. I also had to defend a watch Tower and the village. The game was lots of fun with our fortunes ebbing and flowing with myself just managing to hold out. I lost a burnt out building in the village plus I had the watch tower burnt out from under my troops. I almost lost all my Militia but a few held out. The remaining troops in the tower rushed out at the last minute and killed almost all the Indians which had been burning them out. My little Drummer boy being the Hero who killed a character who had an attack dice for each enemy he touched base to base. I thought it would be better to take him on one at a time which worked in the drummer boys favour. The whole game my wagon hardly moved but I held off the French irregulars and wore them down with my firing line. At the village last minute reserves of a Scottish unit saved the day by dealing with groups of Indians with a volley firing line.

Saturday, 10 January 2015

Games room - construction complete.

I am happy to say that the builder has completed his part of the construction. The plasterer has made one visit and is due in tomorrow to sand off. I have put two coats of undercoat on two external walls and the fascia, plus two white top coats on the fascia. I hope to start the top coats on two walls tomorrow.

I will have to fit the guttering and organise a drain layer and someone else to put in a new footpath.

I have an idea of what to buy for the carpet and blinds but will wait till I have painted internally before I organise them. I also have to get the electrician back in to finish off.

Monday, 5 January 2015

Vietnamese civilian transport - Baker Company Wagon.

Next up is the Baker Company wagon. This was also an easy build which just needed some thick brass for an axle. The figures are a good inclusion but look a bit too much like Orc's to me. I also painted up two Water Buffalos as the Wagon had one pulling it. They have bases painted to look like they are standing in water logged ground. (The figure on foot is in the Vespa post.)

Vietnamese civilian transport - Eureka Wagon.

This was a nice easy build which only needed the axles added from brass rod. The Civillians were painted at the same time. It would be a nice touch to have some figures to act as passengers and driver like the Baker Company wagon. The Eureka figures are a little small but my partner is only five foot tall so I guess they are in scale. I think that these sculpts should be bulkier as heads don't really differ that much in real life. I have based these to look like they are moving along a road as I have some West Wind figures to populate the farms and paddies.

Vietnamese civilian transport - Vespa Ape.

First up is a Disney Cars Vespa Ape. I have no idea if these were used in Vietnam but they do look similar to the Lambretta equivalent so I will use it. I'm tempted to add some more when I have made some progress with the other parts of this project.

Mad Max vehicle - Desert Storm.

The second vehicle I've done for my Mad Max type additions to my Future War collection.

The vehicle started out as a Disney Cars 4x4 called "Veiled Threat". Good name but once I painted it in Desert colours I thought "Desert Storm" was more fitting. I have some 1/35th scale Black coloured stencils packed away somewhere which will be used to finish it off.

The build was really simple with the addition of plastic card panels and Jerry Cans to the side. The 50 cals will probably only have a forward firing arc using a flame template, and the driver can use his personal weapon to the sides. I think that it should have a limited supply of ammo due to the difficulty of reloading.