Saturday 15 September 2018

Battle Kiwi 28mm Church

This has been a learning experience.

I bought this MDF kit at Call to Arms last month and have been working on it almost the whole time since. The kit comes as a pre-primed kit which has been laser cut after priming, so all the detail is burnt MDF colour. This is really useful for bringing out some details but I wanted to improve the look of the grouting/pointing. I first painted everything before assembly as I thought it would be easier to get to some places. (I usually fully assemble my cork tile houses first and the paint them which can be difficult). I also spray painted the interior with the same colour I used on my walls from the last post. I varnished the whole building with some house Varnish. The brush picked up burnt bits and spread these around just like I had planned to weather it. The pointing was done by shaving a pastel crayon which I had bought to try this on my Dads Army shops. (which I never got around to completing). The fine powder was mixed with some enamel thiner and then brushed on with a wide brush. When this was dry I wiped the excess off with a cloth and some White Spirits. It looks a bit patchy in places which is fine for weathering and realistic. However I felt the pastel is a little bit too bright. I mixed up some acrylic paint with some clean boiled water, Flat Medium and flow improver. The colours I used were Brown/Black and Green/Black from Atelier. (because it was cheap) It was hard to tell what the wash would turn out as the medium is very milky before mixing so I experimented a bit. I put the Brown over the whole of the Church and the Green mix around any corners. I'm not sure you can actually tell though. The grouting still looks a bit bright but I keep seeing buildings on TV and locally which look this bright so will leave it alone now other than matt Varnishing it.

The Windows were copied from a link on TMP which I had found the same week as I was building the Church. The round Window is exactly the correct pattern for this window but the side windows needed cutting up before sandwiching between the two halves.

The roof looked a bit plain now so I decided to order some laser cut Tiles from Charlie Fox Trot (as well as a Garage). These tiles went on really easily and came out quite nice. I think that they are a bit over scaled but ordered enough to do at least one of my Berlin Buildings.

The Church is quite large as you can see from the in game phots. I will use it for WW2 and Modern as my Buildings in these collections are large. It would actually do from Norman Times onwards.



The interior Grout showing original colour.











3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, stained glasses are very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and when I find my candle lights it will look even better on the table.

      Delete

I am turning off comments for now as a certain Peter Smith has been spamming me endlessly, and it's wasting my time moderating it. I hope that does not put off genuine commentators who may want to comment later.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.